- Eliminate time-consuming customizations
- Provide a more readable, maintainable tag
- Quickly create tags for specific tracking requirements such as form navigation and Ad Director conversions
- Modify an existing tag without the risk of inconsistency based on manual changes
Why Use Tag Builder to Create Tags?
What Is the Output of Tag Builder?
Tag Builder generates the following files:
- readme.txt contains a description of the tag files as well as the same tag deployment instructions shown in this Help file.
- tbconfig.xml contains the information you need to upgrade an existing tag using Tag Builder.
The Tag Builder tag is designed for a multi-part tag implementation. For more information, see How Do I Use Tag Builder Output?.
Why Does the Tag Look Different from Other Webtrends Tags?
The Tag Builder tag includes some noticeable structural changes that improve performance and readability. For example, all global variables have been combined in a single global variable. The webtrends.js file also shows all configurable elements in the first code block for easy reference.
How Do I Use Tag Builder Output?
|| Tag Builder Tag
|| Data Source Tag (Webtrends Administration)
|| Multi-part|| Single-part|
| Required setup
|| Paste code directly into web page code
To perform a multi-part tag implementation:
- Edit the path referenced in webtrends.html so that it points to the actual location of webtrends.js.
- Paste the contents of webtrends.html on every page in your web site. To avoid logging hits to pages that do not load completely, and to ensure best performance, paste this code just before the </body> tag at the bottom of your web page.
What Kinds of Specialized Tags Can Tag Builder Create?
Tag Builder can create tags for the following specialized situations:
- Customized tracking of multiple domains and subdomains
- On-click event tracking using dcsMultiTrack, including form completion tracking
- Custom query parameter tracking
- Customized cookie tracking including Session-only cookie tracking
What If I Already Use dcsMultiTrack to Track Events?
If you have already implemented dcsMultiTrack for any type of web site tracking, please consult with Webtrends Support or Services before you use the Tag Builder functions found on the Click Event Tracking page.
Best Practices for Using Tag Builder
The following best practices are provided to help you use Tag Builder more effectively.
- Tag Builder should minimize the requirement for manual tag modification. Keep in mind that if you hand-modify the tag, you may not be able to use Tag Builder to update it later.
- If you plan to continue using Tag Builder for tag updates and you do hand-modify the tag, make sure you also modify the tbconfig.xml file so it stays in sync with the tag content.